Gluten Free Pasta with Mac n Cheese Vegan Sauce
Updated: Apr 21, 2020
This outstanding GF recipe will be a winner for the whole family - Kids approved, easy and clean sauce made up with real ingredients
I actually learned this recipe when exploring new clean recipes after ending my 28 day program. I wanted to bring something new and warm to the table, and that kids loved as well as adults.
We have all turned gluten free in our family after learning that all of us it was making a difference in our skin, mood, gut and inflammation. The transition took us some weeks, and we openly talked about all the new "feelings" that we were experiencing by going gluten free, things we liked, things we might miss and "non negotiables" on our table.
Coming from a half italian heritage pasta and bread are some of those non negotiable - and by that. mean we can without them for a couple of weeks now, but every now and then, when winter or cold days in the south hit us, we all feel like a warm bowl of yummy pasta and sauce or some gluten free bread to dip in!
So, that's how this Top 10 clean favorites came up. When it comes to pasta you may choose the one that suits you best, If you have been exploring with grains - with an elimination diet probably - you might know by now which are the one your body and gut likes the most. For us it's quinoa and buckwheat pasta; we get pennes, spirals, spaguettis and sometimes new varieties. Quinoa is so full of protein is usually my first choice, but buckwheat is nice for a summer pasta salad as well.
In order to add this beautiful, creamy sauce you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups of butternut squash dices or pumpkin (organic if possible)
- 1/2 cup of cashews unsalted (soaked for at least 2 hs)
- 1 brown/yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves (if you like garlic, if not less)
- 1 can organic coconut cream (1/4 coconut milk, 3/4 coconut cream)
- 2 tbsp italian seasoning herbs
- salt and pepper pinch of them
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp cold press olive oil
- 1 package of gluten free pasta
1. Chop all the ingredients into small pieces - we want to cook them well and then use a blender and it's always useful to have them properly chopped - Plus, this is something you can practice with mindfulness and putting all your love as you chop and go (Even with those crying onions)
2. Add olive oil to a warm fry pan and then once heated add the onions. Cook them until brownish
3. Add the butternut squash dices or pumpkin with the onion and stir. Then add the garlic, herbs (basil, oregano, parsley) and lower the heat to cook them until they become to tender. Add salt and pepper.
4. Once pumpkin dices are cooked, add the coconut cream and cashews. Let simmer for 20'
5. When everything is ready remove from heat and let cool down. Take all ingredients to a food processor and add apple cider vinegar and nutritional yeast. Blend until you get a creamy consistency.
6. Cook your pasta following instructions and once made, strain it and add your creamy vegan cheese sauce. Enjoy with some chopped parsley or basil on top, a little bit extra pepper and voila.
Remember to #COOKWITHSOUL love and mindfulness
With love and in health,
Your Health Coach